Teacher Profile: Mr. Ed Dunn

Sunny Li, Campus News Reporter

A graduate from Columbia University and lifetime educator, Mr. Dunn has devoted nearly 34 years of teaching to Kent School. He is the sole teacher of AP Modern European History and an indispensable member of our history department.

Mr. Ed Dunn is one of the strictest, but most kind and inspiring, teachers found at Kent.  He relates his own travels and life experience to European history, and is never afraid to make his own thoughts known to the world, especially at the top of his lungs.  Even students who haven’t taken his class know that a bowl full of M&M sits on his desk as a treat before class, though perhaps because they heard him from the classroom down the hall.

Mr. Dunn wants his students to know not only the basic knowledge, but most importantly to learn how to think.  Through history, he teaches his students to analyze and develop their own unique perspectives. Mr. Dunn’s class shapes students into analytical history enthusiasts who can sharply express their perspective through writing. “Learning how to write is an awfully important part of being an educated person,” he says.  

To Mr. Dunn, it is “really important” for students to be critical thinkers. He explains: “the world we live in today requires students to be able to differentiate, to see the difference between good things and bad things.” Especially for citizens in a democracy, it is crucial to have the ability to think critically to determine whether something is worth doing or supporting.

With daily reading quizzes and essays every other week, Mr. Dunn’s class is notorious for its difficulty. When asked about the work load, he laughed and said although his class is tough, he is not a hard teacher. He has confidence in his students, for every one of them seem to have the aspiration for knowledge. He believes that “anything that’s worth it must involve a good deal of effort.” Students have to push themselves and rise to the challenge in order to achieve something, and hard work will pay off in the end.