Girls Crew Sweeps Lawrenceville in home opener

Allison Dickerman, Campus News Reporter

Over March break, down in sunny Knoxville, Tennessee, the girls crew team had quite a week filled with spring training, ropes courses, and more spring training.  The girls used their trip to prepare for an exciting season while enjoying each other’s company. Some are KSBC experts while others are new to the rowing program, but thanks to the trip, everyone was ready for the first race on April 1st against Lawrenceville.

Kent has beaten Lawrenceville in the past, and the race was home in the Housatonic River. In other words, Kent had an advantage, but according to one of the KSBC captains, Colette Glass ’17, “We couldn’t anticipate anything because this was our first race with a boat full of new girls and new talent. We went in with the plan to have no regrets after the race and that’s what we did. We rowed our race.”

The race conditions were not ideal, with tailwinds and choppy water, causing a heavy current with increasing rain as the races progressed. Despite the stormy weather, the girl’s first boat managed to finish the 1750m course in 5:13.8 minutes while Lawrenceville finished in 5:33.8. The second boat finished not far after first boat in 5:15 minutes, and Lawrenceville’s second boat completed the course in 5:35.4 minutes.

The team’s next race is against Tabor Farmington in Massachusetts. Kent girls have not won this race within the last two years, but, just as they do with every race, they’ll approach the challenge with no expectations but to do their best.