Boys JV Ice Hockey Smashes Springfield Rifles

Lucy Zhang, Campus News Reporter

On Saturday December 3rd, the Kent boys JV ice hockey team smashed the Springfield Rifles with a score of 7-0 in their first home game, setting their 2016-17 season off to a solid start.

This year, the boys JV hockey team benefits from strong returners as well as experienced new players. Among the team members, three seniors set good examples for the team and exhibit strong leadership. When asked to identify distinguished players, Coach Zibro and Coach  Abrams mentioned, “Thomas Holley, a returning junior, who was a solid wing player last year and is playing defense this year, as well as David Bird, a returning senior, who is a solid goalie.”

Before the game, Coach Zibro cautiously expressed his excitement and optimism, saying “We’ve had only 2 practices so far, so I really can’t make any predictions, but as long as we play hard and play well, I think it will be a good game.” According to the coaches, the Springfield Rifles are a small but a strong team, who played well all year round. “We really can’t make mistakes,” said Coach Zibro firmly.

During the first period, the Lions were off to a great start. In the first ten minutes, the boys had already scored two goals. On the ice, the players exhibited their cooperative team dynamic, passing the puck smoothly to each other and displaying strong puck control and stickhandling. At the end of the first period, the score was 3-0, with the Kent boys holding a solid lead.

Feeling a little threatened, the Rifles began to launch their offensive attack, making several attempts at the goal in the second period but were thwarted by Kent’s solid defense. Bird saved several shots, bringing the puck back into the Kent boys’ possession. Then the game entered a deadlock state for about 10 minutes. Towards the end of the second period, the Kent boys scored another goal, extending their lead to 4-0.

The Lions came out strong in the third period, with morale running high and made several good shots. With number 22 scoring the 6th goal and number 15 scoring the 7th, the game ended on a high note. Kent dominated the game, gaining a decisive 7-0 victory.