Girls soccer has close loss to Hotchkiss

Alex Choi, Campus News Reporter

On Wednesday, October 19th, the Kent girls varsity soccer team played against the Hotchkiss squad. Having suffered losses against Hotchkiss earlier in the season during a series of two scrimmages, the girls came into the game as underdogs. The game ended in a 2-0 loss, but the girls put up a good fight against a tough opponent.

Having just taken the PSAT in the morning, the girls seemed to start the team “back on their heels,” according to Mr. Klingebiel. The Hotchkiss team, quick to take advantage of the situation, scored an early goal. But as the game progressed, the Kent girls proved resilient and managed to hold off the relentless Hotchkiss offense till halftime.

The team returned to the field for the second half of the match with Ryann Mushkin ’19 and Megan Landrigan ’17 leading the charge against the tenacious Hotchkiss defense. Unfortunately, the girls failed to capitalize on a few opportunities, and their offense didn’t lead to a goal. The girls, however, refused to keel over and held Hotchkiss at bay for most of the second half. It wasn’t until the final ten minutes of the match that Hotchkiss scored a goal and secured a victory.  

Though the Kent girls lost, they defended with heart against an expert offense and improved upon their earlier results against Hotchkiss. As the team prepares for its next game against Greenwich Academy, the girls hope to rebound quickly and earn a win.