Football has close call against Williston Northampton

Adrian Lo, Campus News Reporter

The varsity football game against Williston Northampton School was a thrilling match filled with bliss, frustration, and, finally, relief.

Going into the game, Coach Wells commented about the nervousness before the game” and went on to say “we never know what to expect how the team will perform in a real game”

Coach Wells’ fears were put to rest when Kent went up 14-7 in the first quarter. The Lions went on the offensive throughout the first quarter and were rewarded for their perseverance.

In the second quarter, the Kent Lions continued to impress home fans by scoring two consecutive touchdowns. The fans in the stands were elated. Coach Wells’ team was not tiring and showed the same intensity they had shown in the first quarter.

However, the cracks began to show in the third quarter, as the team game up their 28-7 lead and Williston Northampton School tied it up at 28-28 with three consecutive touchdowns.

Coach Wells spoke about the “frustration” he felt when his team “stopped playing as well as they were. The players lost their enthusiasm” and “would have to fight to take the win.”

The final quarter brought about mixed emotions, as Coach Wells describes: “Relief, but at the same time a sense of hollowness. We shouldn’t have ever been in this situation.” Luckily, Shawn Kennedy ‘17 came to the rescue and scored the winning touch down, leaving the game 34-28. Kent School starts off the season on a win, which we will hopefully continue.