Field hockey beats Miss Porter’s 8-0

Ella Agger-Pilon, Campus News Reporter

The Kent girls varsity field hockey team scored their second official win of the season against Miss Porter’s on Saturday, September 24th. With goals from Juju Tardif ’17, Tina Paolillo ’18, and Sawyer Russell ’20, the girls won 8-0 on their home turf.

Russell scored one of the first goals in the first half of the game on a penalty stroke. The stroke occurred when a defender from Miss Porter’s committed a foul inside of the circle, preventing a probable goal. Russell was awarded the stroke and was able to take a successful shot from 6.4 meters away.

Field hockey, the second largest team sport in the world, is known to send more athletes to college with scholarships, proportionally, than any other sport. Tardif, captain of the team along with Anne-Sophie Rioux ’17, signed with Cornell University during her junior year and is excited to add another four years to her impressive twelve-year field hockey career.

When asked to describe her favorite part of the sport, Tardif said, “definitely the feeling that you get seconds before the game starts, or after a big win with the team.” Caroline Grout ’19 agreed and added, “The competition is so fun and really drives us to play our best.”

Miss Porter’s fought hard and the Kent girls remained sportsmanlike throughout the game. The team hopes to to prolong its winning streak and continue improving throughout the season.