New shell christened in honor of Gillian Perry

Gabrielle Cator, Campus News Reporter

On Friday April 8th, 2016, Gillian Perry christened the new boat that the Kent School Boat Club donated in her name.  This event came as a surprise to Mrs. Perry, but was carefully planned out by her friends, family and members of the KSBC community.

Gillian Perry’s son, Colin Sykes, was a former rower at Kent, and through her son she met the Head coach of the boy’s team and athletic at the time, Hart Perry.  After the two dated at Kent, they decided to tie the knot.  She helped out with the Equestrian program at Kent and later helped bring up the girls rowing program, which she was according to her granddaughter, Lexi, was “a little hesitant to do because of my grandfather [Mr. Hart].”  Together Mrs. Perry and Mr. Hart helped many rowers not only on a national level but also on an international level as well through the National Rowing Foundation.  

The girls crew coach, Mr. Garrison Smith, spoke about the huge role Mrs. Perry played in the Kent community and the great influence she had on the girls rowing at the time. He said Mrs. Perry “ultimately helped to represent us out there in the world with Hart” and added that she has a great impact on the people she works with.

Mrs. Perry had a great influence not only on the rowers at Kent, but also on her family.  She has three grandchildren at Kent at the moment, Lexi Mills ’17, Stewart Sykes ’17, and Sydney Sykes ’19, who all row as a part of the big family tradition.  Mrs. Perry has many people at Kent who know and love her, but for the students that didn’t know her could automatically feel her positive vibes and see her great personality.

Both of her granddaughters recited touching poems for their grandmother at the ceremony. Her son later gave a speech about her effect on his life and the great impact she has made on other peoples’ lives. Before popping the bottle of champagne, Father Schell said a little prayer and blessed the boat.  With a grand smile on her face, Gillian christened the new boat while wishing the girls of KSBC a great future with the boat.

When Lexi was asked about her grandma’s influence in her rowing, she said that she is “very supportive” of her and is her “number one cheerleader”.  Mrs. Perry has a very loving and caring nature, which is felt by everyone she meets.  As Mr. Smith said that everyone who was a part of the ceremony and helped donated, “was so excited to have a boat named after her.”  Gillian Perry’s new boat is just the start of something great for the girls of KSBC.