Club Profile: Amnesty International

Adrian Lo, Campus News Reporter

The Amnesty International club is a service club at Kent that works with the non-profit organization Amnesty International. Their mission is to inform the Kent Community about global issues that can go unnoticed at Kent.

Every week the Amnesty International club chooses a new issue to share with the Kent community.  These issues range from social issues to women’s rights. Last week the Amnesty International club worked on spreading awareness about the women rights abuse in Mexico. In the dining hall people were able to sign a petition to stop violence against women in Mexico.

Dnee Sirichantaropas ‘17 is the case coordinator who communicates with Amnesty International to decide what issues their club will focus on that week. Sirichantaropas believes that working with Amnesty International is a rewarding experience because “we are able to actually make a difference.” The petition signed by Kent students, for instance, will be recorded and sent to the Mexican government.

The Amnesty International club meeting is more than just a quick gathering, says Sirichantaropas: “We want our club members to be able to think about what is right.”

November 11, 2016 is the Northeast Conference in Boston where members from around the country can meet to vote on which issues are the most important. Those who are attending the Conference will be able to participate in interactive programs, workshops, exceptional speakers, and engaging exhibits. Amnesty International club provides Kent students the opportunity to help make the world a better place.