Kent Students Receive Scholastic Art Awards

by Pann Boonbaichaiyapruck ’16

George Bian, Campus News Reporter

The Scholastic Art Awards announced its winners on January 9th, 2016. One of the biggest art contests in Connecticut, the Awards accepts works from any student in the state. Committee members in Hartford review the student artworks and select the most compelling pieces. As the Awards Program is sponsored by the Connecticut Art Education Association, teachers play the crucial role of nominating talented artists to the contest.

Kent students did well in past years, but this year, the school was exceptionally well represented in the contest. Pann Boonbaichaiyapruck ’16 and Alex Wohlin ’16 won awards for photography, while Teddy Simpson ’16 won an award with for his scratchboard, “Tiger.” Jenny Wang ’16 claimed an award for the poster design of “Pirates of Penzance.” Pioneering students were also recognized. Clarence Bonebrake ’16’s award-winning architecture design and portfolio were the first architecture submissions from Kent School. Likewise, Tony Reiser ’16’s 3-D sculpture portfolio was the very first of its kind from Kent School.

by Teddy Simson '16
by Teddy Simson ’16

by Alex Wohlin '16
by Alex Wohlin ’16

Perhaps the most unprecedented outcome is that one student, Erin Cho ’18 (profiled in the paper this week), won four awards for all four of the drawings she submitted. “It’s a message to the whole school,” Ms. Lynch said. “Artists can be geniuses as well and should be taken as seriously as the musicians, athletes and scholars.”

by Erin Cho '18
by Erin Cho ’18

All award-winning artists may be considered for national medals. Though the achievements of Kent artists thus far are already remarkable, art teachers are hoping for some more good news. Ms. Lynch feels that Kent’s future in art is as bright as can be. “More and more great artists from all over are coming to Kent,” she pronounces.