Rising Art Master: Erin Cho ’18

George Bian, Campus News Reporter

Erin Cho ’18, a new fourth former from South Korea, has shown unprecedented artistic talent during her first year at Kent. In the recent Scholastic Art Awards, Cho won four awards, including three gold keys, for all four drawings she submitted. “She is a genius,” said Ms. Lynch, when asked to describe Cho.

Cho started drawing recreationally in sixth grade. Surprisingly, she had formal training for only two years. Cho, however, did grow up in an artistic family. “My aunt is an artist,” she said. Her aunt had a tremendous impact on her as a child; Cho attributed half of her success in art to her own talent and the other half to familial influence.

The works Cho submitted to the Scholastic Art Awards were mostly completed in South Korea. Two of the pieces focus on hunger and diseases in Africa. “I did research in Korea, and I was inspired,” said Cho. She hoped to promote awareness of humanitarian issues and make a difference through art.

Another award-winning piece depicts three rhinoceros horns that seem to protrude from the paper. Cho wanted to save endangered animals, and after doing some research, she chose the rhinoceros as her subject matter.

Her final work portrays a boy coming out of a pipe. Using whiteouts to draw and knives to carve out the shapes, Cho puts her creativity to full use. All of her drawings, with their exquisite details and intricate patterns, are simply stunning.

Cho’s extraordinary talent is only matched by her passion. She is applying to Pratt and RISD summer school to continue her artistic pursuits over the summer. She also plans to take AP Studio Art next year.