PALS Event: The Canary Project

Mr.+Morris+

Ms. Morris

Mr. Morris

Willy Phillips, Campus News Reporter

On Friday, January 15, Mr. Edward Morris visited Kent School to educate students on climate change through an unusual medium: art.

Mr. Morris argues that climate change is “not merely someone’s opinion if it exists or not,” as there is no denying its ever-growing presence. The general public may have some doubts, but 97% of scientists in the field agree that climate change is among us.  According to Mr. Morris, the lack of consensus among laypeople comes from the fact that “it is much easier to sow seeds of doubt than to affirm something.”

A traditional environmentalist might have presented numerical data, but Mr. Morris took a different approach. As an artist, he focused on how art can promote awareness of ecological issues at hand and provoke meaningful change. The product of his own efforts as an artist is the Canary Project, an art and media outlet that Mr. Morris hopes will “deepen the public understanding of the Anthropocene.”

The Green Patriot Posters, which take an strong stance on climate change, are a crucial part of the Canary Project. According to Morris, these posters are modeled after evocative World War II posters, to underscore that everyone “can be part of the sustainability movement” and that “individual actions do matter.” Whether user-submitted or created by a hired professional, the posters aim to rally the largest possible audience into taking action.

To Mr. Morris, the dearth of meaningful action is not a result of insufficient evidence but rather a “cultural problem, a problem of ideas.” Thus, the first step towards action is to change the entire culture around environmental issues.

Mr. Morris believes that as climate change becomes more and more accepted by the public, people will begin to understand how necessary and feasible it is to make a change.

He suggests that students start with 350.org, an international advocate of the global climate movement, to get involved in the fight: a fight to preserve our one and only Earth.