Girls Hockey opens with win at home

Alex Denman, Campus Reporter

On Wednesday, December 2nd, Kent girls varsity hockey faced off against Hotchkiss in their first game of the season. It was “a fantastic start and confidence builder for our team,” said Keely Moy ’17.

Despite some “nervousness,” going into the game, said Moy, the first period got off strong with some great attempts on the goal by MacKenzie Ebel ’16, Haley Uliasz ’19, and a stellar attempt by Moy.

Early in the second period Moy had a rebound attempt with an assist from Meara Burns ’19 but it failed to hit the mark. Moy took another shot at 6:02, and again three minutes later, this time taking advantage of the offensive momentum and giving Kent a lead of 1-0.

Period three was a classic back and forth between the two teams, with multiple saves by Alyson Baldwin ’16. In the seventh minute, Melanie Anderson ’18 slid the puck in; both the crowd and the players seemed unsure about whether the shot was good, but a moment later cheers of students and the team echoed through the rink. Kent held onto their offense and fired off a few more attempts before the timer ran out with Kent ahead 2-0.

After the game, when Assistant Coach Mrs. Laurie Rousseau attributed the win to the effort of the team, which “generated 63 shots on net. We have excellent chemistry, skill and a strong work ethic,” she said. “It should be a fun and exciting season for the girls.”