Girls Basketball starts off season strong

Willy Phillips, Campus Reporter

In the season opener for the Kent girls varsity basketball team, there seemed to be an eerie silence in the Berkshire gym as the first half of the came to a close.  After trailing by more than 10 points for most of the half, the girls had staged a tremendous comeback, led by Captain Lily Steigleman ’16 and center Sarah Gallo ’16, which gave them serious momentum going into the 2nd half.

Last year, this same Berkshire team had beaten Kent by more than 30 points, so trailing by two at halftime was a feat in itself.  Although the Girls ended up losing by 6, the game was close up to the final buzzer.

With five minutes to go in the game, the teams were going shot for shot and repeatedly exchanging the lead. With four minutes left, Kent lead by two, and the possibility of winning the game became real to all the players.

As the final seconds ran out, the Kent girls trailed by six, but their loss is no indication of their effort in the game or their expectations for the season.

Steigleman summed up her excitement for the team and season by saying, “I can already see the improvement from last year and it makes me very excited for the upcoming games because I know we will be a big threat for our opponents.”  The season will be tough, she says, but there is no shortage of effort and commitment on the team, which will undoubtedly make the girls a force to be reckoned with.

On Wednesday the 9th, the girls face Hamden Hall Country Day School followed by Miss Porters School on Saturday the 12th.  Both of these games will not be won easily, but their performance in the last game and their scrimmage win against Greenwich Academy are serving as motivation to bring home the W and establish themselves as a force for the remainder of the season.