Relay for Life at Kent: fighting cancer together

Cassidy Tibbetts

One of Kent’s spring attractions, Relay for Life, is a fundraiser that helps to raise awareness about cancer and to save lives. For a full day, Kent students engage in fun activities in teams and walk to fundraise.

Sarah Benstock ’16, one of the student leaders, is confident that this year’s event will be “the Kent Festival.” She says, “We are working with Blue Key to have bounce houses [along with] food, music, face painting, and temporary tattoos.”

Olivia Paxton ’16, another student leader, explains that she participates in Relay not “just for one person or single experience, [but] for the lost lives.” She thinks of mothers, children, husbands, wives, sisters, grandparents, and best friends who lost a beloved one. Cancer becomes “the monster under the bed [parents] didn’t see” and takes away “a hero” from every affected family. She relays for “the unjusted effected,” especially those who lose “half of themselves to such an intangible force” and “tremble over a newly cold body, confused as to how somebody [who is] in every way good, can be laughing along one day, and silenced forever the next.”

To join this fun and meaningful event on Saturday, May 30th, Kent students can either register online or in person with a $10 participation fee. Join Paxton and other volunteers who will be “fighting to save lives” from 2 pm to midnight.