Connecticut All-State Festival: A Feast of Music

Victoria Geh, Staff Writer

From April 19th to 21st, six talented musicians from Kent School participated in the CMEA All-State Music Festival at the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford. This festival featured five ensembles: orchestra, band, jazz band, mixed choir, and treble choir. The six students are Victoria Geh ’19 and Kayu Wan ’18 in band, James Kim ’19 and Sunny Li ’19 in orchestra, and Erica Qin ’18 and Lucy Zhang ’18 in mixed choir. In order to participate in the festival, they beat student musicians from all over Connecticut in two competitive rounds of auditions: first the Regionals audition, then the All-State.

For three days, the students had hours of rehearsals in their respective ensembles, working together with musicians from other high schools. On the final day, all groups performed their pieces in a grand concert, which highlighted the talents and hard work of all members. The program repertoire included a vast range of genres and styles, a feast for all friends and family members who attended.

In the orchestra, Kim and Li played Stravinsky’s The Firebird, a Russian ballet and orchestral concert work that requires high-level artistry. The All-State Band, which included Wan and Geh, performed Sergei Prokofiev’s March, Op. 99, Carter Pann’s Hold This Boy and Listen, Percy Grainger’s Handel in the Strand, and Alfred Reed’s El Camino Reel. Last but not least, Qin and Zhang, as part of the mixed choir, performed five pieces: Hlonhonofatsa arranged by Daniel Jackson, Regina Coeli by Mozart, All of Us by Craig Hella Johnson, I Carry Your Heart by Connor Koppin, and Unclouded Day arranged by Shawn Kirschner.

Even though it was only three days, this event turned out to be a memorable experience for all and a great opportunity for the students to work on techniques and improve their musicianship along with other musicians. The intensity of each rehearsal reminded the students of the beauty and passion within music. As a member of the orchestra, violinist James Kim ’19 commented, “it was interesting to spend time with musicians who share the same aspirations as I did, and the experience inspired me to keep pursuing music.”