International Students offered a Winter Weekend “Staycation”

Amy Fang, Campus News Reporter

While Winter Weekend is supposed to be an opportunity for students to go home and recuperate, for many international students going home for such a short time is difficult. This year there is a program, led by Mr. Liu, to allow these students to stay on campus. Liu explains, “Winter weekend is too short for international students to travel. It will be nice to host them on campus and provide them trips to local attractions. It is also safer and more convenient for them to stay in Kent than going to the cities.”

These students are not just stranded on campus; they have various activities they can sign up for everyday. These activities include visits to various museums including the New England Air Museum and the Yale Art Gallery, going on shopping trips, bowling, and skiing. These activities are optional, and for students who just want to relax on campus many campus facilities, including the Fitness and Racquet centers remain available.

Mr. Liu said that he wanted “this weekend to be an opportunity for students to get to know the area where they live and study. Through visiting the museums, aquarium, and other sites, students can learn a great deal from what they see and experience.” He also adds that these plans were inspired by John Dewey’s theories on education.

As for food, the dining hall remains open with cereal, bread, and other snacks, and students could also order from or go to the various local restaurants.

With over sixty students staying on campus this year,  Mr. Liu felt the program was a great success and hopes to continue it next year.