Boys Squash Falls to Loomis

Nick Fisher, Campus News Reporter

On Saturday, December 2nd, Kent boys varsity squash battled against a strong Loomis Chaffee team in the brand new squash courts. The boys fought hard, but they fell short 2-5 with a few very close and well-played matches.

The most thrilling performance of the day was by captain Mohamed Abdelhafez ’18, besting Loomis’ player Tarquin Harrison within the first three sets. Over the course of the match, Abdelhafez took advantage of Harrison’s growing fatigue: as Harrison was becoming weary and losing form, Abdelhafez stayed composed through the third set and came out on top.

Milo Supasorn ’19 also who put up a very good fight against experienced player Reed M. from Loomis. Supasorn won the second set but unfortunately just came short a couple points in the remaining three sets. “Milo is a fighter, in my opinion. I think he fights more than anyone,” says Coach Seye.

Our freshman player Youssef Elsobaihy also contributed to the team with a 3-1 victory against Loomis’ Kevin Xavier, bringing the Kent team up to 2 wins out of 7.

Though the top end of the Kent boys varsity squash team showed a lot of heart and skills, the team as a whole lacked the depth necessary to compete with Loomis. However, the recent addition of the new squash courts is a driving force that will help the team progress and grow in future games.

The state-of-the-art court facility will be the home for Kent squash in the coming years. When asked about the new squash courts, Captain Abdelhafez simply states, “It’s one of the best courts I have ever played on.” Coach Seye also comments, “It’s great to have a place to call our home.”