Peer Tutors are here to help!

Khalil

Trained Peer Tutors are available every night in the Library

Christina Khalil, Staff Writer

The Peer Tutor Program, advised by Ms. Whelan and Mrs. Booth, is one of the many helpful library resources accessible at Kent. This program began in 2011 with the dual purpose of creating a meaningful academic job on campus and offering some study-hall backup to the library and ARC staff during research paper season. In 2015, a group of students proposed to add math and science tutoring to the library space.

“It has been exciting to watch how both programs, which are primarily student-run, have evolved over the years,” said Mrs. Booth. Every night except for Saturdays, two research and writing tutors and two math and science tutors are available during Study Hall from 8 to 10 pm. Peer tutors are very welcoming and friendly and are happy to help anyone who has questions or is stuck on an assignment.

Any student interested in becoming a tutor is welcome to apply near the end of spring term and will be notified of their acceptance during final exams. Once students get accepted, they are required to complete summer work in order to best prepare for their jobs in the coming school year. In the beginning of fall term, new and returning peer tutors go through a training session before starting their jobs. When asked what Ms. Whelan and Mrs. Booth look for in an applicant, Mrs. Booth responded, “we look for students who are committed to helping others and building Kent’s tutoring program. We want our peer tutors to be approachable, responsible, and tenacious in their work.”