KPOP: Helping New Students Make Kent Home

Ms. Moniz

KPOP – Move In Day 2016

Alex Choi, Campus News Reporter

The initial transition to any boarding school can be an extremely challenging experience. Many students leave their homes for the first time, arriving at an unfamiliar place filled with strangers.

To ease this transition, Kent School Admissions coordinated with Robin Ross ’17 to create the Kent Peer Orientation Program, otherwise known as KPOP.

KPOP chose its orientation leaders from a pool of peer counselors and tour guides: students who have proven themselves to be great representatives of the Kent community. These leaders were each assigned 7 or 8 new students. The students who oversaw early week athletes guided the newcomers to practices and other team activities. Meanwhile, the rest of the leaders greeted students with a smile and welcomed them to their new rooms on “Move-in Day.”

Finally, on the Saturday before classes, the leaders accompanied their group to dinner at the Headmaster’s house to answer questions about the school. And through other activities like the scavenger hunt, ice cream social, and school dance, the KPOP successfully eased the new students into their new roles as Kent community members.

Unlike many orientation programs, the KPOP doesn’t end after orientation week. The role of these leaders evolves from that of a guide to a friend. Whether it be venting after a long week or sharing a pizza and a laugh, the KPOP leaders will act like student advisors for these new students, making what is a difficult transition a little easier and much more fun.