Teacher Profile: Art Department Chair Ms. Jenna Lynch

Alex Denman, Campus News Reporter

Ms. Jenna Lynch, one of the most inspiring faculty on Kent’s campus, is also one of most gentle and heartfelt people you will ever meet.

Ms. Lynch came to Kent school in 1996, and has shaped the art program at Kent in her 20 years at the school. The occasionally bland campus has always been given light and color through the student art that Ms. Lynch believes should be displayed around the school.

After becoming the Art Department Chair in 2002, with a generous grant donated by Mr. Hoerle (of Hoerle Hall), Ms. Lynch has been able to provide students with ample opportunities to continue their artistic studies and exploration.

With the belief that “each day you can only try to do your best,” Ms. Lynch knows how beneficial it can be for students to try their best in everything that they do, even if they aren’t particularly talented at the activity.

Between beginner level classes, more advanced courses in technique, and an AP Art History class that will be split into three term contained electives next year, “Kent is such a good place to find what you enjoy and pursue it.”

Often, though, says Ms. Lynch, students get started in the art department too late, and many don’t have the time to pursue the arts, even if they would like to.  Despite this, as a mentor she is always on the lookout for students with artistic abilities, even those who might not know it.

Ms. Lynch’s way of teaching has deep roots in being, not just a teacher, but also a professional artist who, in 2015, was featured in thirteen shows, and, in just the first month of 2016, in three. Being able to learn from a master of a craft is the best way to progress and thrive, especially in an environment that is as nurturing and comfortable as the Kent School art department.

A large part of the mission shared by Ms. Lynch, Ms. Brody, and Mr. Scofield is to transform and modernize the department so they can take pride in the art rooms in Field, which, as Ms. Lynch maintains, is a team effort that is a continued work in progress.